Sunday, April 5, 2015

Semantic Screwings

The term 'midget' came under fire some years ago for being, so people said, denigrating, bigoted, size-ist(?), heightist, but was,  anyhow,  just a resented word used by those  who aren't  sensitive to the  best interest of men and women who stand less than four feet.   I've decided to try to rehabilitate the word 'midget' because it's a fun word, and the substitutes for the word 'midget' aren't funny.  And people don't get taller by another name.

There are two midgets who matter a great deal to me, and I can't discuss them in terms other than midgets who made the world a better place for many.  One of the two distinguished short-stuffs hosted a popular vagrant and mutual friend, Dennis H, who sponged off the  man, 3 foot eight, a multi-talented midget who  had appeared in over a dozen mainsteam movies.  The midget was a member in good standing of the Screen Actors Guild.   Dennis had a certificate from a non-acredited school in East Kabuttfuck.  Dennis went down a decade ago from a bad case of cirrhosis, while his sponsor is gratefully still kicking.  This says something about short statured tenacity.

The other midget worked in an auto parts store in Mount Oliver, had been on television early in his career, and he once sold me a headlight.  I stopped at the store on the way to work, he waited on me, and later that night, I learned more about the life of that midget than I had ever learned about any other person, irrespective of height, in a wild, fun crash course.   Tales of the midgets are in the works.






No comments: