Saturday, October 14, 2023

Here's Me Doing The Labor Lisp

 It’s a drag being a prig, and some people have to accept the fact that they are one.  Can I get a pity party going here?  In my experience life gets better after fessing up to it.   It’s like religion, but economics also is loaded with contradictions and fallacies.  It’s hard to believe.   Labor strikes in the auto industry could be, in some ways, ominous.  And redundant.  There may be a repeat performance of boom and bust.   


Cities such as Detroit and Gary, Indiana are legendary for economic booms and busts in the auto and also the steel industries.   History has it many people migrated from the South to work the assembly lines in Detroit.  Story has it these individuals developed vastly improved standards of living as auto workers.    Over time wages were driven up, and like a prodigal Saint Bernard in the Himalaya Mountains bounding sure-footed through deep snow, there were lay-offs and eventual plant closings.   The two cities cited here, Detroit and Gary, went from prosperous industrial middle class to laughing stock shit hole cities full of misery and urban blight.   I am being a big fat prig, just for now, I’ll get back to being lissome and cool real soon, but for now I weight 800 pounds and am talking like a dork.  My voice, like a trator, went nasal on me.  


Evening news has it there are labor strikes in the auto industry right now.   Suppose we are running a big Xerox 1090 photo copy machine.   Are we seeing copies of bad economic behavior past being Xeroxed into reality, like all the shit over again?   Will dudes and dudettes earning good money now wind up eating store brand poodle chow in the near future?    Who knows.  I don’t.   I'm just being a big fat prig, for now.



No comments: